Thursday, March 17, 2011

"BBQ" Chicken

I have had a big craving for BBQ chicken lately. Because most BBQ sauce has a ton of sugar in it I have tried to resist...but let me tell you; if I could only have one condiment the rest of my life it would be Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, I LOVE IT! To satisfy my craving I attempted to make some lower sugar BBQ sauce with tomato paste, sriracha, garlic, onion and some Splenda brown sugar blend. My warning to you if you use the Splenda brown sugar is to use it very sparingly...it is VERY sweet! You only need to use 1/2 as much as you would regular brown sugar. Anyway, I mixed those ingredients together with some water to thin it out. Then I cut three chicken breasts into smaller pieces and put it in the sauce. I made sure to cover all sides of the chicken with the sauce. Then I baked it for about 35 minutes on 350 degrees. Some of the sauce burned to the side of the pan, but it actually cooked quite nicely.
I also made a mix of yukon gold potatoes, carrots, onions, green peppers and garlic. I used 4 mini potatoes, 2 carrots (the full size kind for once!), half an onion and a whole green pepper. I cooked the potatoes and carrots in some olive oil on the stove until they started to get tender and then added the onion, green peppers and garlic. I knew the carrots and potatoes would take longer to cook so I didn't want the other things to be totally shriveled up. This was a good mix with lots of flavors!
Overall, it was a pretty good flavor. The tomato paste made the chicken a little more tomato flavored than the BBQ flavor I'm used to, but it was good. I'm thinking I will make it again but definitely play around with spices.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle :-)

    Nice to meet you! I love your blog and your recipe ideas and think you and I will be great buddies in weight loss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I've enjoyed reading yours the last two days as well...I'm definitely planning to try some of your recipes! I'm already starting to want to repeat things when the purpose of this blog was for me to try new foods and keep it healthy!

    ReplyDelete