Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Crockpot goodness and Coleslaw

Since I knew I was planning to workout tonight I wanted something quick and easy for dinner. So what better thing to do than use the crockpot?
I came home on my lunch break this afternoon to throw it all together. I put three chicken breasts in the pot, added a can of petite diced tomatoes with jalapeno, 1/2 a jar of corn and black bean salsa, a can of diced green chilies, some lemon juice, some cumin and a bag of frozen corn that had black beans, onions and peppers in it. I put the lid on and turned it on high and went back to work. A little over three hours later when I came back the chicken was super tender. I shredded it all up and mixed it together and this is what I got:
Since Gerald wasn't home from work yet I decided to put on a pot of rice to serve with it. I also made some coleslaw. I had a bag in the fridge (I usually use it or broccoli slaw instead of lettuce) and thought I'd try my hand at making some dressing. It turned out great but I'm sure if I tried to duplicate it it wouldn't taste the same. I mixed together a little plain Greek yogurt, apple cider vinegar, a bit of Splenda and a small squirt of mustard. The Splenda made it pretty sweet so it definitely appealed to my taste buds!

Overall, it was super easy and pretty darn cheap to make this meal...and we have enough for both of our lunches tomorrow! Normally if I just make chicken breast, I will eat a small one and Gerald will eat two whole ones. So to be able to stretch these three this far by mixing in other things is pretty impressive! Now I have three more chicken breasts in the fridge from the family pack to cook tomorrow...not sure what I will do with them yet! My goal is to not grocery shop until Friday or Saturday so I'm going to try to make do with the things I still have in my kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment