Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Shepherd's Pie


This is Gerald's favorite meal...I guess it's probably because it is kind of a comfort food. I originally got the recipe from Weight Watchers but I have since adapted it to my own. I probably make it a little different each time I make it, but every time Gerald just can't get enough! I've made it with ground venison, ground turkey or ground sirloin. The meat you pick is totally up to you, just make sure it is lean.

Shepherd's Pie

I start by browning ground meat. Add in some diced onions, minced garlic, diced carrots, diced red peppers and diced tomatoes until the carrots are tender. Then stir in some chopped spinach and zucchini. I'm not a fan of really mushy zucchini, so that's why I don't add it in earlier. You can also stir in whichever spices you would like to use. We like this with a bit of spice to it, so I used some extra spicy Mrs. Dash, a bit of chili powder and some basil. Stir this up and put it in the bottom of a casserole dish.

The topping for this is mashed potatoes. I was too lazy to make real mashed potatoes tonight so I used one of those pouches of garlic flavored instant potatoes. The quantity is perfect for this dish. Spread the mashed potatoes over the meat and veggie mixture and bake it in the oven for about 20 minutes on 375. You can also add some cheese between the meat and potatoes....that makes it super gooey and good! One time that I made it, I put pepperjack cheese in there and let me tell you...HEAVEN! But, if you are watching calories, adding cheese might not be the wisest choice.

As a side, I just steamed some fresh cauliflower and broccoli. You can see by this picture that it really is one of Gerald's favorites. There usually aren't much leftovers. But if there is leftovers, it is great the next day for lunch as well. The possibilities of veggies for this dish are endless. You could use cubed squash, lots of peppers, corn, peas, beans or whatever your heart desires.

No comments:

Post a Comment