Saturday, February 26, 2011

Bison-Veggie Loaf

I've used Bison in place of ground beef in the past, but I've never made a meat loaf with it so I thought I would give it a try.
Bison Veggie Loaf
1 lb. ground bison
1 egg
1 slice grain sprouted bread
shredded carrots
chopped green onions
chopped spinach
chopped red & yellow peppers
minced garlic
chili powder (I used a heaping teaspoon)
Worcestershire sauce (I'm guessing I used a Tbsp)


Preheat oven to 350. Mix all the ingredients together and form it into a loaf. Put in a pan and bake for about 35 minutes or until done. Adding veggies to a meatloaf is a great way to eat more veggies and to feed them to your kids without them really noticing. If you are going to use carrots that are chopped rather than shredded, you will want to cook them a little before mixing them into your meat mixture or else they will still be crunchy...I learned that the hard way once before. However, shredding carrots isn't the easiest task in the world for keeping the skin on your fingers either....However, my veggies were still a little bit crunchy so if you don't want them to be firm, you will definitely want to saute them a little before mixing them with the chopped bread, egg and meat.

This meatloaf turned out great! I ate it with a small baked sweet potato and some steamed broccoli. I almost didn't even miss the BBQ sauce I normally put on my meatloaf...the chili powder gives a nice little kick of flavor that kind of replaces the BBQ though.

No comments:

Post a Comment