Monday, February 21, 2011

Slacker over the weekend!

Sorry readers, I was a slacker over the weekend and never turned on my computer...and I wasn't about to post a blog using my iPhone because it would be filled with type-o's!
Anyway, Friday we had a Costco run and a trip to Fred Meyer to do and since I hadn't grocery shopped in over a week I didn't have much fresh food. So, we had Subway for dinner. It sure was delicious but then I started to worry about eating the bread and how I have such an addiction to it....
Saturday, my other half made me scrambled eggs with red and yellow peppers, onions and spinach and some turkey sausage. Yum!
We had his family over for dinner on Saturday and I was scrambling to have everything ready so I forgot to take a picture of my plate or the cooking process. So for that, I apologize, the pictures are of the leftovers...definitely not pretty! Someday, I will invest in a super sweet camera that can even make leftovers look good...until then, you are stuck with what I show you!
The menu consisted of crock pot pork tenderloin in apple cider, mashed potato/cauliflower/carrots and spinach salad.


I LOVE pork cooked in apples! I started by chopping up 3 apples and putting them in the bottom of the crock pot. Then I chopped half an onion and put that in there too. I browned the tenderloin on the stove top before putting it in the crock pot. Then I poured in about half a bottle of apple cider (not the sparking kind like Gerald thought I was talking about!...the kind that looks like apple juice!). I cooked it on high in the crock pot for about 4 hours then turned it down to low for 2 more hours. Mine was actually in there for longer than that due to a power outage for an hour in the beginning but it hadn't gotten hot yet when the power went out so I'm not sure how to account for that time!. Anyway, as you can see, it was so tender it totally shredded before I could even get it out of the crock pot....DELICIOUS!


The mashed potato/cauliflower/carrot recipe is one I had previously gotten from Weight Watchers but I no longer remember that one exactly. I use 4 Yukon gold potatoes (peeled), a large head of cauliflower) and about 1/2 a bag of baby carrots chopped small. Cut up and peel the potatoes just as you would for making mashed potatoes, cut the cauliflower into flowerettes and chop the carrots. Add it all to boiling water and boil the hell out of it until it is all tender. Then you can either put it in the food processor if you like it really smooth, or just mash it with a potato masher. I added some Butter Buds, chopped green onions, garlic, pepper, salt, chives and a little fat free milk before mashing it. Gerald's mom really enjoyed these....not sure about his brother but he isn't much of a veggie eater (so I'm pretty sure he would wither away if he lived with us!).

I also made a spinach salad and a green bean salad. You can see the spinach salad recipe in a prior post but the green bean salad is french cut canned green beans (chilled), diced onions, oil, vinegar, maggi, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and some other random seasonings.



We also got some super delicious fruit that was probably the best part of our night after going to see Just Go With It for the second time!

No comments:

Post a Comment