Sunday, February 27, 2011

Puffy Apple "Omelet"


I'm not sure why they call this an omelet (hence the quotations in my title). At any rate, I got this recipe from from a magazine rack recipe card book I picked up last week "Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet." I love apples so I thought I would give it a try. The original recipe calls for sugar and all-purpose flour but I substituted Splenda and whole-wheat flour.

Puffy Apple Omelet
3 Tbsp. flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
2 eggs, separated
3 Tbsp. fat-free milk
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
3 Tbsp. sugar (or substitute)
TOPPING:
1 large tart apple thinly sliced
1 tsp. sugar (or substitute)
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon

1. In a small bowl, combine flour and baking powder. In another small bowl, whisk the egg yolks, milk and lemon juice. Stir into dry ingredients, mix well and set aside.

2. In another small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar 1 tablespoon at a time on high until stiff peaks form. Fold into yolk mixture.

3. Pour into a shallow 1-1/2 qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange apple slices on top. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples.

4. Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 18-20 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve immediately.
Makes 2 servings.

Surprisingly, this was REALLY GOOD! It wasn't super sweet like most apple things. I'm pretty sure you could get kids to eat this too. I'll be making it again sometime for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment