Sunday, February 13, 2011

Flax Seed Pancakes

I've been craving pancakes...one of my favorite foods in the world is fluffy pancakes with peanut butter and syrup. BUT, I won't be eating that any time soon! So I decided to try out a new flax seed pancake recipe this morning. Although, they weren't the same as the pancakes most of us are used to, they were definitely edible.

Flax Seed Pancakes:
2 eggs (or 1/2 cup of egg substitute)
3 Tbsp Ground Flax Seeds
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 packet of Splenda (I used PureVia, a Stevia extract)
Cinnamon and Nutmeg

Mix all the ingredients together really well. Warm up a skillet and spray it with olive oil (I have one of the Pampered Chef refillable, non-aerosol pumps that I love! No need to buy those cans of Pam anymore!). Once the skillet is hot, pour in 1/2 of the mixture. Cook it until it bubbles just a little and then flip. The baking powder does allow it to rise like regular pancakes, but they are a bit drier than I'm used to. Cook the second pancake and then decide what to top them with!

My topping consisted of frozen berries (blueberry and strawberry) that I microwaved and mashed up into a syrup with chunks. Living in Alaska, we don't always get the freshest and best tasting produce...especially when it is out of season. So I always keep a bag of frozen fruit in the freezer. I also sprinkled a few chopped pecans on the top. Served with a side of cut fruit (that had also been frozen...Spectrum blend from Costco). Overall, a satisfying breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment