Monday, February 7, 2011

Veggie Delight?

I bought a bunch of vegetables this weekend and wasn't sure what to do with them all. Since I only had about 45 minutes at home after work before needing to go to my cardio dance class I decided I would chop some up to see what I could come up with. This is what it turned out to be:

I chopped up broccoli, cauliflower, butternut squash, carrots, onions, tomato and one chicken sausage (details to follow). I then drizzled it all with a little bit of olive oil and stirred in some garlic. I topped it off by sprinkling it with Mrs. Dash and pepper. I turned the oven on to 375 and put it in there for about 20 minutes. The veggies were still pretty tough but I had to leave for my workout so I just turned the oven off and left it in there. When I got back an hour and a half later it was still warm and cooked to perfection! Yum!

As a side I decided to add a little more color by making a salad. I chopped up a little orange, yellow and red pepper, a bit of tomato (I'm still trying to train myself to eat them again), and a couple olives sliced up. I topped the salad with a homemade oil and vinegar dressing and it was done..and what a beauty it was!

And to get back to the chicken sausage....I love these little guys! I like to keep a pack of them in the freezer for days when I forget to thaw out some meat or I just want to add a little extra protein to whatever I'm eating. Gerald even loves them which is great! Anyway, Costco sells them in a pack of about 15. They are only 120 calories, 5 grams of fat, 1 carb, 15 grams of protein and I can pronounce all of the ingredients (as in they aren't loaded with a bunch of genetically modified crap!). I've used these by chopping them up and putting them in vegetable soup, sauteing peppers and onions and mixing that with chopped up sausage in eggs, or just eating a link by itself. They come in several flavors but unfortunately, the Costco in Juneau isn't as well stocked as they are in some other places so we don't have all the variety. But this spinach one is quite tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment