Friday, February 25, 2011

Chicken Chili

First I would like to say THANK YOU Alberta for sharing this recipe. This is the white bean chicken chili recipe I had a couple weeks ago and fell in love with. When Alberta made it, it was probably the best soup I've ever eaten. I'm not sure what is different or if she adapted the recipe when she made it, but mine didn't taste like hers. This is the original recipe:
Richard's Chicken Chili
3/4 c. chopped onions
1-2 Tbsp. minced garlic
lg can garbanzo beans
lg can white corn
lg can cannellini beans
black beans (optional)
1 lb. cubed chicken breast
1 Tbsp. cumin
1 tsp. crushed red pepper, cayenne or chili powder
1 can chicken broth
small can of diced green chilies

Put a little oil in a pot and saute the garlic and onions. Add the cumin and the pepper/cayenne/chili powder. Add the rest of the ingredients, cover and cook over medium heat for 40-45 minutes stirring often.
You can top the soup with fresh cilantro (THIS IS DEFINITELY A MUST!). You could also add sour cream, cheese or tortilla chips but keep in mind all these things are calories!

One thing I know she did differently was used shredded chicken (I think she had cooked a whole chicken and shredded it off the bone). I used boneless, skinless chicken breast and I definitely think it was better when it was shredded. I'm also pretty sure that one can of broth would not have been enough. I buy the cartons, not cans, and I definitely used more than would have been in a can. I'm going to need to talk to her to see what else she did differently because although this turned out good, it wasn't nearly as good as hers...but then again, I very rarely follow a recipe so I can't expect that someone else does either!

I have some bison burger laid out for tonight so I'm currently trying to decide what I'll make with it....

No comments:

Post a Comment