Monday, February 7, 2011

Cabbage Salsa

Yesterday was Super Bowl Sunday and I decided to stay home and do homework instead of indulge in all the deliciously bad for me food that is usually present at the annual event. So between breaks I decided to whip up a batch of cabbage salsa. I initially got a recipe from a former classmate but I'm not sure what I did with it so I kind of went from memory. One thing you will notice is that I DO NOT measure! I hardly ever do even when "following" a recipe. The only time I measure anything is when I'm being really strict with my diet (which as you can see is virtually NEVER). So here you have a makeshift version of the recipe:

Cabbage Salsa
1 head of green cabbage (or a bag of coleslaw mix)
4-5 Roma tomatoes
1/2 a red onion
1 bunch of cilantro
2 limes
1-2 jalapenos
minced garlic
salt
pepper

Start by chopping the cabbage really fine. Then chop up the tomatoes and onions pretty small and the cilantro. Mix it all together. Cut open your two limes and squeeze the heck out of them so all the juice is over your cabbage mixture. Stir in a heaping spoon of garlic (I buy the minced garlic from Costco because I cook with lots of garlic and quite frankly I'm too lazy to mince it myself!), then salt and pepper it to taste. Then comes the kicker...add your diced jalapenos. You can either use them out of a can so you don't have to chop them, or you can use fresh. I start with a few then stir in more and taste. I found the biggest thing with this recipe is you have to keep tasting it until it is right. Once you think it is right, refrigerate it for a few hours then taste it again. Chances are, you will want to add something to it. If not, you rock! Enjoy!



This is a picture of the cabbage salsa on a mixture of venison and orange peppers and onions on a low carb tortilla.

No comments:

Post a Comment